George Danzer Reveals How he Won WSOP P.O.Y.

Cards and Chips

PokerStars Team George Danzer has had, as he put it himself, one of those once in a lifetime years at the poker tables. He has finished the year with three World Series of Poker bracelets to his name after beginning it with none.

Winning a bracelet is everybody’s dream but to win three in a year is a special achievement that has not been done too many times in the past.

Additionally, he also won the World Series of Poker Player of the Year after one of the closest races in history, with it literally going right down to the last event at the World Series of Poker Asia Pacific in Melbourne Australia.

It is this race that he talks about in his latest blog over at PokerStarsBlog, with him picking it up at the WSOP APAC at which point his good friend Brandon Shack-Harris was leading.

“Brandon started the WSOP APAC with a small lead over me in POY points (752 to 745.2) — less than one min-cash — which I figured gave him about a 50% chance to win POY, me about a 40% chance, and the rest of the field around 10%. Some were talking about Daniel Negreanu coming back to catch us, but he was going to have to win a couple of events to do that which is very hard to do, even for Daniel Negreanu.”

The great thing about this race between the two is that the lead kept on changing hands and both players had a chance at winning right until the last event. Danzer had already taken the lead off of Shack-Harris before he was about to lose it again.

“Just a couple of days later Brandon and I were sitting at the same table in Event #4 (the A$1,650 NLHE Terminator event), and we got it all in against each other in a coin flip situation. I had Ac-Kc and Brandon had Tc-Th, and I bricked. He got all my chips, then went deep and finished sixth to retake the POY lead (806.7 to 762.2).”

Many of us know when the momentum really was going the way of Danzer, the moment he won his third bracelet of the year. However, as he points out, it could all have been so very different had he not been able to hang on to make the final table.

“Actually in this tournament the money bubble was the same as the final table bubble, as only the top six finishers made the cash, and I needed to make the money in order to pass Brandon again. So it was a very big bubble for me — the final table bubble, the cash bubble, and (in my mind) the Player of the Year bubble, too. There was only the Main Event and High Roller left, so I felt like if I could pass him there I’d have a very good chance of winning.”

He did make that final table as the short stack but much like Martin Jacobson in the WSOP Main Event, he was able to turn that short stack into the winning one.

It was a great achievement and one that we are sure he is extremely proud of, so you should go and check out all of the rest that he has to say.